FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Frank Harris
(800) 552 2118
CREWE – Southside Electric Cooperative (SEC) joins the U.S. Senate in recognizing April 18, 2013, as National Lineman Appreciation Day. The Senate passed a resolution Wednesday honoring lineworkers for their efforts at keeping power flowing to customers and members of electric utilities nationwide.
Headquartered in Crewe, SEC has 54 employees who work in the field restoring power during outages and maintaining distribution lines and equipment. Across the nation, more than 19,000 men and women maintain 2.5 million miles of line for electric co-ops, investor-owned utilities, and public utility districts.
"The caliber of our line employees is top notch," says Jeff Edwards, president & CEO. "Each and every member of our line crews should be commended for their hard work in delivering safe and reliable power to our members."
A bill introduced by U.S. Sens. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) and Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) "recognizing linemen, the profession of linemen, the contributions of these brave men and women who protect public safety" was passed by unanimous consent. The resolution resolves that these workers…
• are steeped in personal, family and professional tradition;
• are often first responders during storms and other catastrophic events, working to make the scene safe for other public safety heroes;
• work with thousands of volts of electricity high atop power lines 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to keep electricity flowing;
• must often work under dangerous conditions far from their families to construct and maintain the energy infrastructure of the United States;
• and put their lives on the line every day with little recognition from the community regarding the danger of their work.
"It’s time lineworkers were recognized like this," Edwards says. "It’s a great acknowledgment."
Headquartered in Crewe, SEC is a member-owned electric-distribution utility serving more than 54,000 meters throughout southern and central Virginia. For more information about the cooperative, visit www.sec.coop.